Sunday, August 31, 2014

First times for everything

This week I had a lot of firsts. Yesterday I had my first day of work! It went really well which is good because I was a little nervous.  There are fourteen students in the class, and my host brother wants to learn English so badly and is so determined, he comes to my class on top of attending his own class in the morning. Each class is two and half hours long, so he's spending five hours every Saturday learning. The plus side is he gets to attend my class for free :)

Another thing I did for the first time is take the bus all alone! The buses here are very different than in America. They are decorated and on some of them you can see the road beneath you because of holes in the bottom. Also, to stop the bus sometimes you can stop on the side of the street anywhere and put your hand out and it will stop. When you get on and off the bus, if the drivers feeling nice that day, he will stop but otherwise you just jump on and jump off as fast as you can. It was scary the first time but now I find it fun. If you don't have enough money to take it that day and you ask the driver if it's okay, they let you ride for as much as you give them which is quite nice.

This past week there was no school on Wednesday and Thursday for all public schools in Paraguay because the government offers classes for the professors so all the kids get to miss school. School here is relaxed and the teachers are very nice. The relationship with them is so different as they are more your friends and you kiss them on the cheek when you leave for the day.  I went to downtown, the center, of Encarnacion a lot this week and I love walking around the city looking at everything. My brother and I for some exercise walked from his house to Encarnacion and it took us 50 minutes each way, but it was cool seeing all the architecture and the city by foot. That's all for this week mainly and I will try to post every Sunday, I hope these posts are okay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment