Monday, October 13, 2014

Feliz Cumpleaños

Happy Birthday to me!!! Last Monday was my birthday, I am now 19 years old, wow time flies by so fast, it's crazy. Birthday celebrations aren't a huge deal here, unless you're a girl and you're turning fifteen so you can have your quincenera. That is a big deal! So my family and I just had empanadas for dinner, my favorite, and they bought me a cake which we ate after. It was quite nice and a quite day. On Friday though, a couple of my friends and I went out to diner for my birthday which was fun, so at least I got a little bit of a celebration in :)

The past week was just a typical working week, however, my hours did get changed a little bit so now I am working only from 2-5 in the afternoon everyday, but I am on the search for another job so I can keep occupied in the morning. I might work at the other local neighborhood school in the morning and then switch to my school in the afternoon, we will see!

At the school, one of my jobs is to write in the kids books for their parents. Since, there's no mail here and hardly anyone has internet in their houses, the only way to inform parents of stuff or events happening at school is word of mouth and their books. So in their backpacks every day, the kids bring little journals and we write in them so the parents can be informed. Another difference is when a kid is sick or not feeling well, last week a kid had an ear ache, the teacher or one of the assistants just walks him/her to their house since it's in the neighborhood and there's no phones to call the parents or anything. It's quite strange but I guess it works out okay in the end!

Oh a couple of weeks ago, all the AFS'ers in the Encarnacion area met up with some local teenagers living here and they gave us a walking tour of the city. It was very interesting and it ended up at our favorite spot to hang out, the beach!

Next week hopefully I have a new job.. Bye for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment