Monday, October 27, 2014

My walks to school/work

So last week was just a typical week but I joined a gym! It's very cheap here and I have my own personal trainer which is always a bonus. I've been  going quite often which is good to kill time. 

But I want to talk about my walks to school every morning and afternoon. Every morning it's nice and refreshing to walk because it's not too hot yet and there's sometimes a little breeze. On my way, I pass a little farm with the owner milking the cows every day at the same time and we say hi to each other. I know if I'm late or early depending on if she's already milking the cows or not haha. And then a little bit further is this other very small, poor house and there's a dad and kids who are always outside sitting and talking no matter what time of day it is. His kids wanted to learn English so now they know how to say 'hello' and 'bye-bye' so every morning and afternoon they talk to me and it's so cute. Then the dad comes up to me and talks to me and it doesn't matter if I just laugh or reply with bad spanish because he just keeps on talking as if I understand everything I say perfectly haha. It's really funny and he somehow knows what the weather will be every day so I ask him about the next day and he's 90% correct. In the afternoon, either I walk home with one of my students and their moms or I walk home with another one of my students and his older sister. Most of the time it's with the kid and the sister. They are so sweet and we walk and talk and sometimes the mom comes to pick them up on the motorbike, but the older girl always comes with me instead and the little boy goes with the mom by himself. They're really sweet. 

It's really cool though because since the school is for the neighborhood kids, everyone walks. So after and before school the streets are filled with kids and everyone has someone to walk with.  I truly think it would be such a good place to raise your kids and they have no electronics, barely any money, and they still have so much fun just playing with each other. All your friends live next to you or on the next street over which is so lucky! One time I was listening to my music on my IPhone and a kid came up to me and asked me what it was. I told him it was my cellphone and he replied back to me in spanish, "Oh, I've never seen a phone that you can just touch and it does what it wants, it's like magic! My parents have to press buttons". I was first in shock and then said back to him, "That's a good thing you don't know how to use this or know what it is, you're only seven and that's how it should be!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment